Saturday, June 21, 2014

Running with Furry Friends

How many of you have dogs that join you on your run?  I really enjoy taking my two dogs for a run, especially since I don't have a running partner.  I appreciate that they benefit from the experience too.  I find that it can be hard to take them along though, and often choose to jog alone because of the issues that sometimes arise.  For a long time, I was taking one of my dogs who has a LOT of energy on all of my runs.  It was so good for him, and we were logging 3-6 miles per run!  But one of the last times I took him on a run like that, we got chased down the street by **2** dogs.  Eeek!  My nerves just couldn't handle it!  I was so fearful that he (or I) was going to get bit or otherwise injured, and be a long way from home.

Pros of dogs joining on the run:
1.  Dogs get much needed exercise. (I live in a townhouse with no yard)
2.  I run faster.
3.  The dogs and I bond:-)

Cons of dogs joining on the run:
1.  Other dogs barking, chasing, etc.
2.  No music. *sigh*  I feel that I need to be extra attentive when I take along a pup.
3.  I can only take one dog at a time, in order to make sure that I maintain control of the dog at all time.

 What insights do you have about running with dogs?  Do you find that the pros outweigh the cons, or that the cons keep your pups homebound?

I found this resource from Runner's World that you may also enjoy-it has lots of information and thoughts on running with your furry canine:  http://www.runnersworld.com/motivation/running-with-dogs

Zoey, ready for a jog!

Jax postrun....maybe more tired than me? maybe not.


                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment