Friday, June 20, 2014

hike, hike, baby

It's Friday bloggers!

Sometimes, especially as summer gets closer, it can be really fun to make your workout a little less official, and get outdoors.  In th past few years, I have really been trying to take advantage of the opportunity to get out of the gym and breathe in some fresh air.  My hubby and I took a trip to Asheville , NC recently, and there is no shortage of beautiful hikes, scenery, and outdoor fitness opportunities!  

While I love the scenery, and "flora" portion of the outdoors experience, the "fauna" still basically creeps me out.  I don't want to be terrified of wildlife, but the SECOND I see a snake while hiking....that's it.  Fun over-for me and everyone else that has to deal with me.  I am talking TOTAL meltdown.  Tears, jumpiness, and general paranoia will ensue.  Ugh.  That being said, I want to share with you my most recent snake calamity (and maybe share some positive points of the hike too!) HA!

Our hike "looker-upper" who researches all of the trails that we hike found the Panthertown Valley Trail in Western NC, and pieced together an 8 mile loop for us to explore.  There were going to be approximately 5 waterfalls, and difficulty would be fairly easy to moderate for most of the hike.  The first 3 stops that we made on the route were amazing, and after passing them, we were probably 4 miles into the route.  All of a sudden, my nemesis made it's slithery appearance-day ruined.  For the remaining 4 miles of the hike, I was on pins and needles, and making major efforts not to bring the whole group down.  All that being said, the hike had some BEAUTIFUL features, and we will continue to explore the area.  To find out more about the hikes and other outdoor adventures in the western part of NC, visit hikewnc.info.

highlights:





What kinds of outdoor summer activities do you enjoy?  Any favorite hikes you have taken? What suggestions do you have to work past irrational fears?

Have a blessed weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment