Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Annual Beach Weekend

Hola a todos!

This past weekend my hubby and I made our way down to Topsail Island, NC for our annual beach weekend with some of our best friends (a couple of whom are getting reading to move-see HERE to read more about that).

Anywho, I don't know about you, but I have a VERY hard time eating healthy when I am around a group of people at a party or on vacation.  Just being out of your element eating foods that aren't really in your normal routine makes it hard, before even mentioning the treats and goodies that everyone brings to share!  Don't let me fool you-I didn't exactly take cut up veggies to share.  I made a delicious COOKIE DOUGH DIP, adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie's Recipe.  Check her recipe out HERE.

My version of the COOKIE DOUGH DIP!  **recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie**

Needless to say, it was a huge hit.  I decided last week though, that I wasn't going to let food guilt bring me down this weekend.  Oh no!  Instead, I would incorporate some fun beachy workouts into my day Saturday.

Saturday morning, I woke up HOURS before everyone else at about 6:15.  Not on purpose, mind you.  I just have a hard time sleeping in.  Blame it on all those 5:00 am mornings while I was teaching elementary school.  So, instead of sitting around watching the news, I went for an hour-long morning walk on the beach.  It was AMAZING, and really gave me some time for reflection.  After my walk, I headed back to the house and people were starting to wake up.  Hooray!  We hit the beach and walked a bit more, followed by a 45 minute swim.  I am pretty surprised that I was able to stay in the ocean that long-murky water and such;)  You just can't see what you are swimming with, which usually slows me down!  We also had an ongoing couples tournament involving cornhole, bocce, and ladder ball, which kept all of us up and moving.  I felt good about the amount of physical activity on Saturday, which ALMOST made up for the copious snacks I consumed Saturday night!

My FABULOUS view on my morning walk-I would be TOTALLY ok seeing this every day!


More from my walk-this gazebo overlooks the sound side of the island.

Us with all of our friends on the beach-Mike and I are on the far left!

For dinner Saturday night, we made a low country boil.  I don't know how much you know about low country boils, but it is a little slice of heaven when cooking for a big group. You boil all of the ingredients together in a pot, then drain and dump the pot in the middle of a table for the group to share. And-at only about $9 per person, we ate a lot cheaper than heading out to an expensive beach restaurant.  Here are Mikey and I getting ready to partake in the boil-literally PILES of food on the table.  Click HERE for a recipe similar to the one that we used.  **One big change that we made to the recipe is that we used carrots in addition to potatos.**  Also-notice the tin foil under all the food.  Clean-up was a BREEZE.  We just rolled up the foil and tossed it in the trash.  No muss, no fuss.


Once we did get back home, we definitely ended up doing the whole movie and takeout on the couch situation for recovery.  It went something like this:  

Jax and Zoey-nap experts.

Needless to say, the weekend was  a success, and I can't wait for us to all get together again sometime this winter for our "winter classics" tournament.

mon amour


Question of the day:  What fun traditions do you have with your friends or family?


No comments:

Post a Comment